Friday, June 22, 2007

Shelter from the Storm

Following my flurry of communication with ex-students on my last post, I did something I swore I never would do: I created a MySpace page. It is too lame to link to for the moment, but at least I'm friends with my daughters and one of my nieces now.

Seriously, I thought this move might help me keep in touch with the younger generation, which is important for a teacher. And it has already allowed me to waste my time on a funny musical activity that my niece had posted on MySpace. Try it out, it's a great way to be unproductive at your computer for an hour or two.

Directions:

1. Put your iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. on shuffle.

2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.

3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS.

Now my niece admitted that she didn't totally follow rule 3, which means her answers are all clever and she ends up sounding like the arbiter of musical taste that she probably is at the ripe age of 20. (Well, weren't you?)

I, on the other hand, followed the rules and even accessed my WHOLE music library, including some of my daughters' songs that they have probably disowned by now. The only change I made was to skip artists who had come up more than twice -- my "shuffle" function doesn't seem that random sometimes.

So here are my musical answers to twenty questions:

1. IF SOMEONE SAYS "IS THIS OKAY" YOU SAY?
“I Can Love You Like That” -- Boyz II Men

2. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF?
“Just Go Ahead Now” -- Spin Doctors

3. WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GUY/GIRL?
"Hey Man" -- Jim Murple Memorial

4. HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?
"I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (with Flowers in My Hair)" -- Sandi Thom (Pourquoi pas?)

5. WHAT IS YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE?
"Gold Dust Woman” -- Fleetwood Mac

6. WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO?
"Sweet Hitchhiker” -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

7. WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU?
"Johnny B. Goode"-- Chuck Barry

8. WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU?
"La Fin du Monde"- Cali (That may have been the case a few times -- I hope it's not now!)

9. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN?
"Thunder Road"—Bruce Springsteen

10. WHAT IS 2 + 2?
"So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)"- R.E.M.

11. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND?
"South Side"-- Moby (Interesting, she has lived in two houses on the South side of our town.)

12. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
"Bad Day” – R.E.M.

13. WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY?
"Everloving"—Moby

14. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GROW UP?
"Candle in the Wind"- Elton John

15. WHAT WILL YOU DANCE TO AT YOUR WEDDING?
"My Only Love"- Roxy Music (I'm not planning another one, but this is a pretty good choice.)

16. WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
"A Simple Twist of Fate” – Bob Dylan (Ha! That's even better.)

17. WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST?
"Hand in Hand” – Elvis Costello

18. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST FEAR?
"Kid"- The Pretenders (Pretty funny for a teacher)

19. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET?
"Sing It Again"- Beck

20. WHAT WILL YOU POST THIS AS?
"Shelter from the Storm” – Bob Dylan

If you do this activity, post the link in comments to this post. I always like getting a glimpse inside people's music libraries.

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Great list :)

Betty Carlson said...

I'd like to see how yours would come out if you played this game!