Saturday, December 22, 2007

If Only in My Dreams

For this week's Sunday Scribblings prompt, "Holiday Memories," I'm going to be most annoying and do a rare post in French.

This article originally appeared in a local newspaper, Le Rouergat, which I wrote a column for in 2004 and 2005. The little weekly unfortunately shut down, so I hope there are no copyright issues involved in my republishing this article.

I suppose I should translate it into English, but I worked so hard to write it in French that I prefer to post the version originale. The general subject is how hard it can be to be so far from home for the holidays, and especially how difficult my first Christmas in France was.

Do tell me if any of you can understand it!


Les quinze années que j’ai passées en France sont jalonnées d’excellents souvenirs, pour la plupart. Quelques-uns restent, malgré tout, moins agréables. Parmi ceux-là je pourrais citer mon premier Noël français, en 1990. L’éloignement de ma famille en fut la cause principale, mais de petites différences culturelles amplifiaient quotidiennement ma tristesse. Il s’agissait pourtant de la même fête, mais les maisons manquaient d’illuminations, personne ne venait frapper à ma porte pour m’apporter des gâteaux de Noël... toutes ces petites choses constituaient pour moi le « Christmas spirit », avec notamment son enthousiasme et sa chaleur humaine propres à Noël. Expression dont on me dit qu’elle ne se traduisait pas en français.

Pour combler le vide, je passais des chansons de Noël en boucle. Bing Crosby qui entonnait « White Christmas » ou bien « I’ll be home for Christmas »… Parfois cela me remontait le moral. A d’autres moments, cela me réduisait en larmes.

Le froid, du moins, avait répondu présent pendant cet hiver albigeois. Gelée, j’arpentais les rues piétonnes en quête d’objets décoratifs pour égayer notre foyer. Je n’ai trouvé qu’un petit ensemble d’oies en bois peint…100 francs. Je l’ai acheté en dépit du prix que je trouvais exorbitant.

Avec le temps, et mon premier enfant, la situation s’est vite améliorée. Petit à petit, j’ai importé mes traditions à ma famille. Les cartes de vœux se font pour le Nouvel An ? Tant pis, je les faisais pour Noël. Et qui m’interdisait de faire mes « Christmas Cookies » et de les distribuer dans le quartier ? Personne, évidemment, et cela faisait très plaisir aux voisins !

Arrivée en Aveyron, j’ai fait la connaissance d’un groupe de collègues anglophones qui m’invitaient bien sûr à leur « Christmas Party », joyeuse fête où nous chantions à tue-tête des « Christmas Carols », devant des époux quelque peu perplexes.

Mon expérience personnelle m’a appris que Noël transcende bien sûr les différences culturelles, mais surtout que c’est à chacun de faire perdurer les traditions auxquelles il tient, et d’en créer d’autres. Désormais quand on me demande si je rentre « chez moi » pour Noël, je réponds sans hésitation : « Non, jamais, je n’aimerais pas rater Noël ici avec ma famille, et puis il fait un temps de chien en hiver là-bas! » Nous changeons vite de sujet et nous nous souhaitons de joyeuses fêtes, « Merry Christmas », j’ajoute parfois. Mais malgré la maison pleine à craquer de décorations, malgré la présence de mes enfants, malgré toute la joie que la saison m’apporte, je sais que je ressentirai toujours un petit vide le 25 décembre.

So I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.

10 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

No idea what the French part says, but I'm guessing it's that someone wants to go home for Christmas, but can't.

paisley said...

well i translated it on bable fish,, so i was able to get the gist.... where as the christmas there will never be the one in your memory,,, it is your christmas,, and the only christmas your children will ever know... i am glad you re able to add to the celebration for your family and friends....

deathsweep said...

There's no place like home ---ever---especially during the holidays...You should take the crew and go back if you can!

Paul said...

Thanks for all your posts this year Betty, I always enjoy reading them.

I have to admit however, that I just can't see the festive charm of Bing Crosby. To me, his voice is just too closely associated with that awful Christmas duet (Little Drummer Boy?) he did with David Bowie in the 70s!

Here's to 2008!
Cheers,
Paul

Anonymous said...

I was surprised how much of the French I understood, it's more than 10 years since I studied it in school, you lost me at the end however!
I remember my first Christmas away from home I was in China and spent the day without electricity. Then met up with friends for an Italian meal which was less than appetizing. The next day (my birthday) I remember riding the bus and trying desperately not to cry as I thought about home. When I got to an Internet cafe and checked my email the tears came flooding.
Anyway, Happy Holidays!

Betty Carlson said...

Paul,

There's no accounting for nostalgia, I guess. Bing Crosby is one of my father's favorites AND he's a Washingtonian (as in state) so let's not get too personal!

Thanks for the wishes...and have a wonderful holiday.

Anonymous said...

I don't know french. However you are welcome to SS!

Tinsie said...

I read and understood it all except for the bit about the songs playing en boucle (but I worked that out with a little help from my dictionary). I'm lucky in that we don't really celebrate Christmas much in Greece, so I don't mind that I'm away from home - the vibrant celebrations make up for it.

I do, however, hate spending New Year in England as it just doesn't compare. Like you, I mix and match my traditions, and have got my friends to adopt some of mine, but it's never quite the same. At least I have the option of flying home for New Year, even if it's for a couple of days.

Great article by the way :-)

spacedlaw said...

Argh, the cultural shock!
Strangely enough everybody seesm to expect expats to go "home" for Christmas - and many do, for all sorts of reasons - but what is better to make the place you are at your "home", envers et contre tout?

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Oui, oui, j'ai compris! Je suis jalouse, je veut ecriver le francais comme toi, Betty. :)