Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Positive energy is great -but I still can't resist this!

I got a recently circulating email about how we should all calm down about McPalin and their insulting, incompetent and incendiary campaign. Instead, we should start visualizing Election Day and how wonderful it will feel when Obama wins.

In fact, we should start visualizing the next eight years. It won't be easy, said the email, but Obama will be an historically great President, and we will all feel proud to have been part of his election.

That's all well and good -- but I'll think those sweet thoughts in one week.

In the meantime, take a look at Keith Olbermann's latest blast of Palin.

Oh, and is John McCain even still running? It seems like I read next to nothing about him.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Good-bye Twitter. Chirp. Tweet. tweet.

I have just chirped my last Twitter. I guess between emails, my blogs and my reasonably active Facebook account, Twitter just wasn't for me.

If you're interested in keeping in touch with me on Facebook, I'm there. I'm also hoping to organize a little Facebook election night party so I have some people to celebrate with (95.7% chance according to fivethirtyeight.com as of today) or commiserate with (4.3% chance...etc.)

(Update from Monday: make that 96.7% vs. 3.3%!)

Actually, commiserate is not a strong enough word. Let's not go there.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Could you repeat that, please?



I told you John McCain had been studying at the Sarah Palin school of clarity and syntax! Or maybe the old guy is just getting tired.

I say it's time to head back to Arizona, John.

Monday, October 20, 2008

And time...goes by...so slowly....

Appetite: spotty

Internet habits: fivethirtyeight.com, then news of or from my daughter in the USA

Suspense: killing me

Two. More. Weeks.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

This speaks for itself...

...and echoes my thoughts from my previous post.

Do something -- get out and vote!

Saturday, October 11, 2008

John McCain, you are a pathetic excuse for a presidential candidate, a Senator, and a human being!



Time was when I honestly thought John McCain would run a respectful campaign for the presidency -- as he promised to do, mind you.

Now I'm starting to think that just about any of his former opponents -- maybe even Huckabee! -- would have kept things a little cleaner.

Of course the press is abounding with reports of "hate" growing in the McCain-Palin crowds, and I've spent the morning reading commentary and analyzing videos.

McCain seems to be getting some sort of credit -- "extra credit," perhaps -- for trying to tone things down on the angry, racist bent of his latest crowds. But listen to the actual text above of his half-hearted "defense" of Obama, first on the question of being "scared" by an Obama presidency:

"He is a decent person, and a person that you do not have to be scared as President of the United States."

McCain is clearly ill at ease here, or else is taking lessons at the Sarah Palin School of Syntax.

After being booed, his follow-up suggests he may also be studying at the Sarah Palin School of Incoherency, G-droppin', and Folksiness:

"Now, I I just, now I just, now, now, look, I, I, if I didn't think I wouldn't be one heckuva lot better president, I wouldn't be runnin', okay?"

What does that have to do with anything? I almost feel sorry for you, Johnny, because I'm not sure you expected to end up running this type of town hall meeting. But when you play with fire, you get burned.

And you end up having to deal with inconvenient side effects, like the most horrifying question yet asked in public by anyone during this campaign:

"I cannot trust Obama. I have read about him, and he's not, he's not...he's an Arab."

First, notice McCain's nodding understanding after the first phrase. Then his supposed "high road" reaction:

"No, m'am, no m'am, he's a decent, family man citizen..."

That totally idiotic, racist question should not have been dignified with a response and McCain should have said so in no uncertain terms.

And this is being billed as defending Obama? Giving this lady the subtext that an Arab, of course, can't be "a decent family man, citizen?"

I guess he's just doing the best he can. But it's sure not good enough.

So John, why don't you save what little is left of your much-touted honor and drop out now -- and take Caribarb Boobie with you?

Oh and hey, John, can I call you Jack? Because I can't wait to see you hit the road.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Saturday, October 04, 2008

My last class was a bomb, but my reward's in heaven



Sure, there are days when I feel like a suicide bomber, plowing into a class of tired students with my arsenal of pair work, debates, vocabulary sheets, and fun facts to know and tell about the present perfect.

But is my reward in heaven?

Doggone it, Sarah, I thought you couldn't make me feel any sicker than I already am. But there you go again.

And did it cross your fact-crammed brain that references to "can I call you Joe" + wife + heaven might be a little on the tacky side?

Okay, I'll give you a break there. I don't think you did it on purpose. It's hard to keep everything straight with all those Supreme Court decisions on your mind...